Monday, January 29, 2007

Comics: Week of Jan. 24, 2007

52 Week 38 - In where we return to Monster Island, or wherever it is that the mad scientists are located? I'm interested in the crime bible and its references to the Fourth World. Could the missing Yurrd the Unknown, the hunger-lord, be Skeets? He did eat the Phantom Zone?

I liked the callbacks to the Question's origin in the O'Neil series. What seems like throwaway ramblings are little nods to the first time Charlie "died". I'm crossing my fingers...

Eternals #6 - I smell padding. Wasn't this supposed to be a 6 issue miniseries? What's going on?

I thought the mind control exchange between Ikaris and Iron Man was pretty clever. The new status quo established at the end of the issue regarding the dreaming Celestial really sets this mini up for an ongoing. Who knows? Gaiman's had a problem wrapping up stories before... at least for comics.

Marvel Adventures: The Avengers #9 - How could I resist the buzz around this issue? I haven't picked up a Marvel Adventures book before, but are they all this fun? It's nice to read an angst-free Marvel title. "A.I.M. barbeques"? I'd like to see that.

Nextwave #7-11 - I've put off reading these for a while. Reading them all in one go was a blast. The punk rock aesthetic of this book is hard to resist. Too bad it's coming to an end, but we'll always have battle-chaired, eye-blasting Stephen Hawking.

The Spirit #2 - Nice done-in-one. What I like about this series is that the story and exposition are nicely interwoven, like how comics used to be before writers got lazy. If you're hesitating on picking this up because you don't know anything about the Spirit, don't let that stop you. Cooke will give you enough in the story so you don't feel lost. Go now.

X-Factor #15 - I think I missed an issue. Good thing for the recap!

Yet another inventive (and slightly creepy) use of Madrox's powers. David's really turned a c-lister into a solid, entertaining character.

Tags:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home