Monday, November 20, 2006

Return to Newness

After a long drought, I managed to get myself to the LCS and pick up some new* comics. It's been dicey trying to avoid spoiling some of the bigger event titles for myself, but somehow I managed.


52 #23 - #28 - As always, it's nicer to read 52 issues in bulk. The Good: The development of the Black Adam Family (including an analog for Talking Tawny which made me laugh out loud in wonder as I read it). The Bad: It seems that the predictions that Vic would be getting killed off during this series have been proven correct. I don't know how I feel about this. I loved the O'Neil series, and always felt that Vic remained unresolved, especially concerning his daughter.




Agents of Atlas #4 - I've been enjoying this series, though this issue seemed a little light to me. I don't know much about Namora, and I expected at least a little exposition on her, her importance. I should probably know it, but I've been a bad fanboy.




Astonishing X-Men #18 - Probably my favorite ongoing right now. Whedon takes hits for writing what seems to be fan-fiction, but I ask, is there any other way to write the X-Men? This book sings to me, bringing in elements from my personal favorite eras of the team. I guess what elevates it from 99% of bad fan-fiction is that Whedon isn't just wallowing in the past, but seems to be investing in the future... how cool are Hisako and Blindfold coming to the rescue?




Civil War #5 - Not quite what I expected this time out. This series has been pretty good about being self-contained (for the most part) until this issue. I definitely felt like I missed the setup to Peter and Tony's big blow-up, which makes me angry. Also felt let down by the villains hunting Peter after. Was looking for a big slugfest, but he gets taken down by a couple of c-listers.




The Escapists #3 - I know I'm quite behind on this title. I still love it, though it seems to get drowned out by the other titles I buy.




Seven Soldiers #1 - Um. I liked it? Definitely not what I was expecting, and a few threads go unaswered, and really made less and less sense. I feel like I should reread the whole thing at some point. I applaud the grand experiment, but felt that the ending was a bit unsatisfying. Hell, I don't know...




Recent Trades:



Ex Machina: The First Hundred Days (Vol. 1) - I've avoided this title til now. I figured I'd give the first trade a spin. It was good, though I'm not sure it's one of my priorities to pick up in the future. I think that I'm too much of a superhero junkie to enjoy this title, which is sad to say. I want to see more flashbacks of Mitch's time as The Great Machine rather than him dealing with the politics of being mayor of New York. I'll probably check out the second trade when i have some spare cash.




Captain America: Winter Soldier (Vol. 2) - I waited a long time for this to come out. I only heard about this storyline after the monthlies had wrapped. Rather than try a back-issue hunt, I decided to wait for the trades.
Maybe it's because I spoiled the ending for myself, or the long wait between volumes, but I felt underwhelmed by this storyline in the end. Don't get me wrong, it's well written and probably the most clever way to do something I pretty much thought impossible. It changes a lot of continuity without changing the emotional subtext and relationships. I reached the end and said, "so that's how it ended." No real punch for me... I didn't find a resonance. Maybe it's part of a larger storyline involving Winter Soldier's redemption.




*New to me, anyway.

Tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home