Wednesday, March 21, 2007

OT: Movie Meme

In addition to comics, I like a lot of movies, so I'm lifting this Movie Meme from Bill D. who got it from others. Without further ado, Thought Balloon's first meme participation:

1. Name a movie that you have seen more than 10 times.

What haven't I seen more than 10 times? I don't think I've seen a movie in the theater more than 10 times, so this brings me to video. I'll go back to the beginning and pick the first movie I obsessively watched over and over again: Blazing Saddles. It was our first video on VHS, and I played the hell out of it. Also, I had the biggest crush on Madeline Kahn.

2. Name a movie that you've seen multiple times in the theater.

Silence of the Lambs... also The Abyss.

3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a movie.

I'll see anything with Laura Linney.

4. Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a movie.

Rob Schneider and/or Adam Sandler.

5. Name a movie that you can and do quote from.

The Big Lebowski has a wonderful selection of choice quotes for all situations in life.

6. Name a movie musical that you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs.

Tough one. Not a huge musical fan. The closest would have to be Moulin Rouge since it's a mash-up of pop songs from my youth. Oh, and maybe Xanadu... don't judge me, I had a crush on Olivia Newton-John, alright.

7. Name a movie that you have been known to sing along with.

I don't really do that... though I like to quietly hum along in that scene from Magnolia where all the characters sing. It feels very "meta".

8. Name a movie that you would recommend everyone see.

That's a tough one, but I'll say To Catch a Mockingbird. It's positively un-American not to.

9. Name a movie that you own.

Heat. It's a guilty pleasure I enjoy when the girlfriend is out of town.

10. Name an actor that launched his/her entertainment career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops.

I'll agree with Bill D. and say Mark Wahlberg. The guy's really got something. He's not a great actor, but he's got an emotional vulnerability that makes him compelling to watch.

11. Have you ever seen a movie in a drive-in? If so, what?

Hell, yes. I practically grew up at the Burlingame Drive-In. I saw Star Wars for the first time there... as I grew older, it was a great place to take a date. I miss the drive-in, and their unique cafeteria-style cheeseburgers.

13. Name a movie that you keep meaning to see but just haven't yet gotten around to it.

I've seen parts, but I've always wanted to watch the entirety of Lawrence of Arabia.

14. Ever walked out of a movie?

That Blair Witch sequel. I think we walked out during the opening credits and snuck in to O, Brother and saw that again.

15. Name a movie that made you cry in the theater.

Recently, Children of Men.

16. Popcorn?

I'm a candy guy at heart, but K usually goes for the popcorn. Damn, if that smell doesn't make me eat half of the bag.

17. How often do you go to the movies (as opposed to renting them or watching them at home)?

We go once or twice a week. It's pricey... but I love the experience.

18. What's the last movie you saw in the theater?

The Namesake on St. Patrick's day. We're such iconoclasts!

19. What's your favorite/preferred genre of movie?

Used to be sci-fi, then comedy... these days I'm just looking for something that will surprise me.

20. What's the first movie you remember seeing in the theater?

In the theatre: It's a toss-up, but after checking dates at imdb.com, it would be The Marathon Man or Car Wash. I don't think my parents could afford a babysitter back then.

In the drive-in: This would have to be Jaws. Again, my parents were poor or society hadn't ratcheted up that notion that you could warp your kids minds with "inappropriate" entertainment yet.

21. What movie do you wish you had never seen?

That Spawn movie was pretty bad, even for a comic book movie. That's time I'd like back, please.

22. What is the weirdest movie you enjoyed?

Un Chien Andalou. Got to see this one in a film class in college.

23. What is the scariest movie you've seen?

The original Dawn of the Dead has scarred me for life.

24. What is the funniest movie you've seen?

I like lots of funny movies, but the funniest one I can think of is more funny in a distrubing way. Every time I watch Network, I find it both hilarious and creepy how they depict the inner workings of those who make entertainment and news, and how the gross parody of the 1970's became our reality decades later.

Tags:

1 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Blogger Bill D. said...

Oh, man, do I wish I walked out on the Blair Witch sequel!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home