Wednesday, October 18, 2006

If You'd Like to Read More About Big Barda...

After writing the last post, I got to thinking how Big Barda is probably one of my all-time favorite characters in comics.

Michael Chabon is far more eloquent in his essay for Allure, as befitting a Pulitzer Prize-winning author. I remember reading this essay a few years ago and marveling at his ability to unravel why certain characters work and some don't.

For myself, the character has always felt genuine, real. Taken on her own or within the context of her relationship with Scott Free. It's no surprise that that Kirby based her off of a real person (his wife no less). That real-world connection lends a tremendous gravity and grace to her character.

Plus, she's, you know, badass.

Tags: , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger ***Dave said...

Thank you. I've always had a hankering for BB as well -- and her ass-kickingness was always a big part of that. And thanks for the pointer to the Chabon article; I'd not known of the connection to Kirby's wife, though it makes perfect sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home