Monday, April 16, 2007

Comics Mega Post!

I've been preoccupied the last few weeks with a job search. I got to pay for all these comics somehow. Prepare for info dump.

52 Weeks 47 to 49 - I don't know what to say about 52 right now. I should have known better than hope that all the great new things I was seeing would last beyond this series. I loved the Black Marvel Family, loved the new Batwoman, and was even interested in the Great Ten.

The last few weeks have seen most of what was compelling about 52 completely reversed/dismantled/dismembered... what have you. About the only thing left to look forward to is the revitalization of the Metal Men... maybe.

Maybe it's just the event fatigue talking. It's been interesting, and it's been fun. Most exciting is that DC was able to pull off a weekly series successfully with what looks like little of the expected attrition over the year.

I just wish they weren't already rolling it over into another year long weekly. The teaser ads are compelling... but I don't know if I'm willing to make the leap to Countdown. Plus, there's the whole side-trip to World War III.

There's three issues left, and even with a rumored giant-size final issue there doesn't seem like there's going to be a satisfying conclusion for me. I don't know. Call me cynical.

All Star Superman #7 - Best Superman title ever. If only it were monthly, though I'm still happy to wait. The first two-parter of this series, though when I got to that last page cliffhanger, I'm happy to muse about the possibilities contained in the next issue until it finally arrives. That's the appeal of this title for me: the unending potential and imagination, and how much Morisson and Quitely allow for the reader to contribute. Most titles try to spell things out to the last detail, or jerk you around with promised payoffs that never materialize.

The Immortal Iron Fist #4 - Continuing to intrigue. There's a feel that anything could happen right now. I'd like to see more answers about the multiple Fists (hello Googlers), though I'm not in a rush. Like a good b-list character, Iron Fist kind of operates in his own bubble of the Marvel U right now, and has a hazy enough backstory that lends itself to this kind of retcon.

JLA Classified #37 - Long awaited story, though I think it was supposed to be it's own series or graphic novel, wasn't it? I like it enough to see where it may be going. There were certainly enough references to philosophy and religion to make me think it might lead somewhere interesting.

The Mighty Avengers #1 - Interesting. Thought balloons are coming back? When did that happen?

Aside from that, this really let me know that the whole Civil War thing isn't really over. I get the idea that Tony's gone a bit around the bend, which will lead to a sequel of some sort. I dunno. Sure it kind of congeals the Marvel U around a new status quo, but it feels a bit forced sometimes.

Speaking of forced, Marvel sure seems to be pushing Ms. Marvel on us tha last few years. It wouldn't bother if she was, you know, interesting. I'll give this series a few more issues.

Shazam! Monster Society of Evil #2 - I love it, but I'm wondering if I should just wait for the trade at this point. I feel like DC is trying to soak me. This book should be in an affordable, entry-level format and price for kids. I may be a kid at heart, but that doesn't count.

TRADED!
Runaways: Pride & Joy Digest + Runaways v.2 #25 - I'm finally getting on the Runaways bandwagon. I've wanted to pick up this series for a while now, and hearing Whedon was coming on board finally gave me the excuse, I guess. I picked up the first digest, and I have to say, I think I would prefer all my trades as digest now. They're just as legible, more portable and cheaper.

As for the story, I have to say I'm hooked. Probably one of the best premises to come along for long time. Straightforward and simple: teenagers find out that their parents are a secret supervillain society and go on the run. The first six issues require little to no knowledge of Marvel continuity, which is great since it seems not even Marvel knows their own continuity sometimes (I couldn't resist).

I also couldn't resist reading the current Whedon issue out now. Sure, I've missed everything in between, but I just couldn't wait. I kind of spoiled some developments for myself, but it was nice to see that the series was headed towards some resolution. Whedon recaps and resets the stage apart from Vaughn's initial run. Looks like it's going to be set more inside the mainstream Marvel U, which will hopefully bring new eyes to the book.

Iron Man: Extremis TPB - I like that this is basically a re-jiggered origin story for Iron Man, a restatement of who the character is. Tony's always been one of those characters that I could take or leave. Even with the alcoholism, there was never anything compelling to me about him. Ellis manages to find an angle that I can relate too in that Tony, despite being an optimistic futurist, is always making weapons. Suddenly, Tony's story has the dramatic weight on par with Greek tragedy; despite his best efforts, he may be making the world a more dangerous place.

The artwork's gorgeous. Small wonder that Granov's been tapped to lend design concepts to the movie.

That's all for now. Next up: 25 Cent Wonders!

Tags:

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger Sleestak said...

I can deal with Ms. Marvel. It's getting Arana pushed on the fans that is annoying me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home